Bed and Breakfast Brampton Cumbria Accommodation
Bed and Breakfast Accommodation in Gilsland, Brampton, Cumbria
Brampton market town is 8 miles west of Tantallon House Bed and Breakfast accommodation in the country of Cumbria. With cobbled streets, Brampton town has all of the facilities you would expect of a country town. There are a number of shops which sell local produce as well as some pubs and restaurants which are well worth a visit.
Bed and Breakfast Accommodation in Brampton Cumbria near Hadrian's Wall
Brampton's origins go back to the Romans some 2000 years ago and to the 7th Century when the Angles were living in the area. There are Roman connections to the town as well but these remain uncertain. Brampton is not far from Hadrian's Wall (about two and a half miles to the north) and running in the east-west direction is the Roman Road called "Stanegate" which can be found about 5 miles to the east. There is an old Roman Fort on the edge of the town where now only the Chancel remains of a 17th Century Parish Church. A statue to the Emperor Hadrian stands in the centre of the town.
Beautiful house and rooms, very comfortable and we were made to feel very welcome. A lovely stay, many thanks.
Today, Brampton is a small bustling town, there are plenty of places to eat and drink, with coffee shops and a good range of shops such a florists, butchers, hairdressers, clothes, iron monger and, of course, there is the weekly market on a Wednesday. There is an excellent Antique centre called Cumbrian Antiques which is located close to the town centre which has a big range of antiques such as furniture, clocks, china, glass, jewellery, paintings and other works of art as. Surprisingly, you can buy genuine Roman artefacts here as well.
Railways have always featured in the areas history, and Brampton is no exception. The Earl of Carlisle built a railway from Brampton to Carlisle in 1775 to transport coal so when the Newcastle to Carlisle railway was built around 1836, this joined onto the Brampton to Carlisle line. May be this explains why the station is a mile or so from the town centre as the original line was used for coal loading.
In 1252, Brampton's Charter for the market was granted by Henry III which would have been held in its wide cobbled main street. James I also granted Brampton a charter in 1606 and a copy of this is held in Moot Hall. Moot Hall was built in 1648 at one end of the main street and was once was used by Oliver Cromwell to house prisoners. No trace of this Hall is now left as the building was replaced by a new Moot Hall built in 1817 by the Earl of Lancaster. The octagonal building has arched and pointed windows, a square turret mounted on the roof holding the clock and a square roofed structure formed of timber posts and diagonal bracing. There is a pinnacle on top of this separate roof structure. It also has two external stairs. The Hall is a nicely detailed building with an ornate roof and slate tiles. It used to be an open sided building forming part of the market arcades but was enclosed in 1896. The Tourist Information Centre now resides in the building.
The prominent mound of earth which was called a large motte, now called the Moat, lies to the east of Brampton's town centre, and may have been the site of an old castle. There is a statue of the 7th Earl of Carlisle, a British statesman and politician, and this lies on the highest point of the 135 feet high mound. In the centre of Brampton lies St Martin's Church. This was built of sandstone in 1874 to 1878 and was designed by the Pre-Raphaelite architect, Philip Webb. There are beautiful stained glass windows which feature themes such as paradise, childhood, worship, and heroes of the Bible. The windows were designed by Edward Burne-Jones and were made in William Morris's workshop. The Church is normally open during the day and information about the history is available from the church shop. There is a memorial called the Capon Tree Monument on the outskirts of Brampton. This records the hanging of six Bonnie Prince Charlie supporters in 1746 by the Duke of Cumberland. These supporters were left behind at Carlisle Castle after Bonnie Prince Charlie had fled.